
I almost had a chance to make her my grandma too.
Oh well...what melancholy.
I was at the client's place at Tuas, and took a cab after work to my usual doctor at Boon Lay market to get a referral to a skin specialist for my wilful eczema, so that I can submit a claim to the company. It was only 6+ when I was done with the doctor's, so I decided that I shall just take a walk back home as I used to do but without my laptop. Who would have expected...to see CH's grandma resting near the elderly fitness corner/playground near his block. What a coincidence.
Upon seeing her, I almost wanted to switch my route but I thought, "why should I have to change my route just to avoid her? I didn't let anyone down and not at fault." So I just walked on, deliberating over whether to say "hi" to her if she sees me. Almost thought that she would, but perhaps she was too engrossed with her little chat with a neighbour and didn't notice me.
Felt kinda relieved when I passed without her notice, yet I wanted to ask how she was doing. Afterall, there were times I wanted to pick up the phone and call to show some concern, but I thought it wasn't appropriate to do so and it may turn out awkward. "Ah...might as well." I retraced my steps and walked over to greet her.
She looked the same and surprised/happy to see me. I was amused by the first thing she said after asking how I was doing..."you seem to have put on weight hor?", her hand rested on my right arm for a second as she said that. I was happy that she noticed, and affirmed her observation. Haha..it tickled me abit. :)
Anyway after that, we just chatted for awhile and I asked after her, 胖姑姑, 叔叔, and him. Well..I couldn't resist lah..anyhow it's just a casual general question. At the mention of him, ah ma just commented "ah..he's still the same. Youngsters...don't interfere in his matters (or 'mai guang yi' in Hokkien). Let him be... Still the same, morning ask me to wake him at 6.30am, in the end will only wake up at 7.40am."
Lol..indeed he's still the same. I didn't want to ask about the new gf, and I'm glad ah ma didn't mention anything about it. She asked about mummy and I told her about mummy's hospitalisation in April. Just a little chat..nothing more. I was glad to hear that everyone's doing fine.
However, after I bade goodbye to her and was walking back, I started to feel a tinge of sadness..a loss of familiarity. Once so close...now so far. Walking this route back used to be something I'll do at least once every week. Now..it's just a piece of lost memory.
When CH first brought me home, I called grandma "ah ma". But he asked me to call her "Aunty" so that was how I addressed her in our few years of courtship. In some year, he casually and discreetly told me to call her "ah ma"...but I told him I'll call her "ah ma" only if he says this in front of his grandma. He never did. "Aunty" still remained as "Aunty".
And will always be.
Oh well...what melancholy.
I was at the client's place at Tuas, and took a cab after work to my usual doctor at Boon Lay market to get a referral to a skin specialist for my wilful eczema, so that I can submit a claim to the company. It was only 6+ when I was done with the doctor's, so I decided that I shall just take a walk back home as I used to do but without my laptop. Who would have expected...to see CH's grandma resting near the elderly fitness corner/playground near his block. What a coincidence.
Upon seeing her, I almost wanted to switch my route but I thought, "why should I have to change my route just to avoid her? I didn't let anyone down and not at fault." So I just walked on, deliberating over whether to say "hi" to her if she sees me. Almost thought that she would, but perhaps she was too engrossed with her little chat with a neighbour and didn't notice me.
Felt kinda relieved when I passed without her notice, yet I wanted to ask how she was doing. Afterall, there were times I wanted to pick up the phone and call to show some concern, but I thought it wasn't appropriate to do so and it may turn out awkward. "Ah...might as well." I retraced my steps and walked over to greet her.
She looked the same and surprised/happy to see me. I was amused by the first thing she said after asking how I was doing..."you seem to have put on weight hor?", her hand rested on my right arm for a second as she said that. I was happy that she noticed, and affirmed her observation. Haha..it tickled me abit. :)
Anyway after that, we just chatted for awhile and I asked after her, 胖姑姑, 叔叔, and him. Well..I couldn't resist lah..anyhow it's just a casual general question. At the mention of him, ah ma just commented "ah..he's still the same. Youngsters...don't interfere in his matters (or 'mai guang yi' in Hokkien). Let him be... Still the same, morning ask me to wake him at 6.30am, in the end will only wake up at 7.40am."
Lol..indeed he's still the same. I didn't want to ask about the new gf, and I'm glad ah ma didn't mention anything about it. She asked about mummy and I told her about mummy's hospitalisation in April. Just a little chat..nothing more. I was glad to hear that everyone's doing fine.
However, after I bade goodbye to her and was walking back, I started to feel a tinge of sadness..a loss of familiarity. Once so close...now so far. Walking this route back used to be something I'll do at least once every week. Now..it's just a piece of lost memory.
When CH first brought me home, I called grandma "ah ma". But he asked me to call her "Aunty" so that was how I addressed her in our few years of courtship. In some year, he casually and discreetly told me to call her "ah ma"...but I told him I'll call her "ah ma" only if he says this in front of his grandma. He never did. "Aunty" still remained as "Aunty".
And will always be.
No comments:
Post a Comment