take a snapshot...

take a snapshot...
a glimpse into the thoughts and drama of my life

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Professional image workshop at Stamford House's Carrie Academy

Despite the long and endless to-do list at work, I was glad to be scheduled for L&E (a.k.a. Learning & Education or training) at Stamford House for Thursday 2-6pm and whole of Friday. Especially after the impulsive decision to join my friends at Zouk at mid-week (actually I almost didn't go, if not for my gf's spontaneity and also that M was leaving SG end August again), I was relieved thinking that I don't have to rack my brains over work on Thursday afternoon. *phew*

This course is subsidised by the WDA, and was the most relaxed L&E I've ever had. :) On Thursday afternoon, Linda talked us through the concept of "professional image" and ran through the types of dress code so as to look professional, commenting on the fit of guys' shirts, the type of collar that is suitable for different face shapes, what to wear and what not to wear. To think floral prints are not recommended - I thought of my office tablemate, who wears floral dresses almost everyday. Haha. Then, the guys went ahead to learn nailcare and starting the whole manicure process, finally ending with their nails looking all shiny/glossy. It was a funny sight, the guys working on their nails quietly as though they were doing some small art & craft. Hehe. We girls learnt how to put basic make up, and even had to take "before and after" shots. -_-"'

Friday was more on the theory aspects, like the importance of first impressions and making small talk with clients, handshakes, dealing with difficult clients, understanding body language [JY: remember the book you gave me? haha..i like that book on my shelf :)], good body posture, and customer service. We had to do a "cat-walk" one-by-one across the classroom to our "client" and do an introduction and make some small talk, with the whole class watching. Luckily our class was small and all the laughter had helped with ice-breaking. But I was still abit nervous when it was my turn and also during the role-play for the "dealing with difficult clients" where I was the partner..haha. In particular, I thought the course ended well when David showed us this touching video, which I will link in my next post.

Enjoyed our 1.5 hour long lunch break at Curryfavor, with this nice colleague sitting beside me during the training, Fei, and the guys Asher, Alvin and Winston. She's newly married and yet so easy to talk to. In fact, one of the guys actually thought we knew each other on some job, when we had only first met yesterday. :) After the L&E ended early before 5.30pm, I went Raffles City with Fei to do some window shopping, and met the guys coincidentally again at Toastbox so we had some tea and toast over a chat before our shopping. Eventually, we spent the most time at Watson's..

My buys from Watson's at Raffles City:

(clockwise from L to R: Gatsby powdered blotter $3.50, Maybelline AngelFit Brighten Up Blush in velvet apricot $15.90, ZA Ever Brows in BR21 $8.90, L'oreal Ultra-volume Collagene mascara $19.90, Maybelline Magnum Volum Express waterproof mascara $14.90)


Haha..the above cost me $63.10. Ouch..didn't expect it to be so much! But since most of the items were on sale and had extra Watson's points, AND the L'oreal mascara was recommended by the make-up instructor on Thursday, I just decided to buy all of them. On sale mah... (typical Singapore..lol.)

Met up with Jun-mei, Meiyi and Lun at 7+ for dinner at Waraku (again), before catching my 1st R21 movie "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Ahh...it made me squirm in my seat! Disturbing scenes..but overall a good movie. Went for a drink at Esplanade Timbre after that.

I realise my entry is so long..and has so little thoughts. Sorry to bore, but I so need to record down "what I did" because my memory RAM is too low. Haha. Shall share more thoughts soon. :)

No comments: